ADHD Assessment: What to Expect
“What can I expect when my child has an assessment for ADHD?” is something many parents wonder when it’s first suggested their child be evaluated for ADHD.
Once an appointment is made with a pediatrician or a specialist in childhood ADHD, you can expect:
- A physical exam, including a family medical history
- Interviews with you and your child by the clinician
- Clinical observation of your child
- Forms to be completed by teachers, coaches, youth group leaders or other adults who work with your child
- Additional assessments for other challenges your child may have
The assessment should take several visits to the clinician. Generally, a single visit isn’t enough to evaluate a child, or an adult, for ADHD.
For more information on what to expect, visit our webpage Comprehensive Assessment.